Jim,

My gear list changes based on the trip.

The trip in my mind for this list was three nights in Horn Fork Basin. Summit Harvard on the second Day and Columbia on the third day. But if the weather is stable from the Harvard summit then I might want to take the traverse and spend the night on Columbia. In base camp would be my Starlight pack, hammock, tarp, Caldera Cone stove, bear bag with the food for the last night.

I have two dedicated ESBIT pots. One is the Ultralight Outfitters stove that is 4.1 oz. complete with widnscreen and the other is a Vargo Ti pot. If I were hiking the CDT from Berthoud Pass to Herman Gulch I would be carring a complete kit, and likely the beer can stove.

The point is that a 7 pound kit can provide safety and comfort above timberline. You know that most of the time my base weight is in the 12 to 15 pound range because I like to have separate sleeping clothes and sleep in a hammock and use an alcohol stove with a more complete kitchen. The 7 pound base weight did not include a first aid kit, my repair kit or a camera.