Darwin

The "What First Aid Kit?" topic in the Lite Gear Forum (started in April of this year) has some interesting answers that you may find helpful.

However, I carry "Heavy" for first aid supplies, but that is mostly because I've ended up using my kit a lot. It seems like either I'm getting hurt, or someone around me is getting hurt on every 2nd or 3rd trip. With Mr. Murphy as my constant companion, and because I plan to be able to treat other people (I am a former, no longer certified, EMT-B) what I am suggesting is probably heavier than many others here would tolerate. The first aid I'm preparing for is a combination of trauma and "mom medicine" - which no one is going to teach in one place in one course.

1. Training/knowledge - Boy Scout Handbook is a great reference for basic level first aid, and costs about 10 bucks. It will not go into ways to better plan and use OTC meds - something I'm interested in knowing more about. I'm always looking for a better resource (NOLS?). American Red Cross is a good source for training. So is the local ambulance company, but they don't do much bandaging any more - hospitals are usually close, and tape will hold the bandage on adequately for that time period.

2. Supplies
a. CPR Mask (Microshield) (remember my caveat about treating others)
b. Gloves (remember my caveat about treating others - I use rubber kitchen gloves, which can be used for multiple things and (if you wash them between patients) multiple patients in a pinch. eek
c. Triangular bandages - 2; these things are all purpose for splinting and bandaging (esp. for big wounds).
d. Ankle wrap - I replaced one of 3 triangular bandages with this b/c I tend to roll ankles.
e. Some roller guaze, 2"
f. roll of two inch tape
g. 4-10 4x4 gauze pads, depending on how long you stay out. Cut these down as needed to deal with cuts, burns, etc. See note at end.
h. Small nail/bandage scissors (need to cut down moleskin/gauze pads)
i. pack of bandaids
j. small tube antibiotic
k. personal medications
l. pain meds (tylenol, motrin - remember that they do different things and have different side affects, so I take some of each)
m. anti diaherrals (Immodium AD) - one to two courses
n. cold medicine (pills) - usually sudafed
o. Bendryl (sp?)
p. Moleskin
q. alcohol wipes (kind you use for prepping injection sites)

I probably forgot a couple things, but I need to repack my kit and it's at home. Some of these supplies go bad over time.

Note - I plan to manage an injury for one person for the entire period of the trip OR plan to expend all of my supplies on a badly hurt person, ending my trip in a medevac. I recommend you adjust the number of expendables (4x4s, bandaids, meds, tape, roller gauze) accordingly. I don't think that you should have to adjust the number of reuseable supplies (triangular bandages, ankle wrap) or REALLY BAD INJURY supplies (gloves, CPR mask) much based on trip length - but I've never been out for 1 week +, so I'll defer to those who do go out longer.

The kit I've described is really a small expedition kit - but it is also what I want for me (and carry with me when I travel for business, less the scissors) if something goes REALLY wrong. Keep in mind that I have almost emptied my kit of a given supply on a couple of occasions - once for a 1x2 inch 2nd degree burn to a kid's arm that we had to manage for the weekend.

If you plan accordingly, you can probably replace some of the bandaging supplies I've described with extra clothing (and cut the clothing up when you needed to), but going lightweight tends to remove the extra cotton t-shirt that you'd use for that sort of thing.

3. I'm going to take some kids out later in the year. What I'll probably insist that they carry is:

a. small pack bandaids
b. some moleskin
c. 2-3 triangular bandages
d. any medication that they normally need, or might need in an emergency
e. maybe a couple 4x4's. I haven't decided yet.

I've "listened" to a lot of conversations in this forum about being responsible for ourselves when we go out into the woods - what essentially amounts to "being prepared." To my mind, this is "prepared" but my level of training is different and my experience has probably been worse than average.

I always counted on the awl or knife blade on my multitool or swiss army knife for the sort of thing that many are talking about using a sewing needle for.

Thank you for letting me contribute. I look forward to "hearing" the follow on comments that this generates, particularly from the folks with SAR/EMS experience.

Steadman

Edited by Steadman (01/08/10 01:46 PM)
Edit Reason: Added an older thread reference.