People differ in how the taste affects them--some are sensitive to it and others seem not to be. Chlorine dioxide is the best alternative and not too bad tasting; I simply can't tolerate iodine (which is less effective anyway). The source water quality affects the tast too. I'll suggest experimenting with ClO2 before committing to chemical treatment for a multi-month trip.

Are you thru or section hiking? You have to option of matching your water treatment to the trail section you're in, e.g., chemicals in the desert, UV in the Sierra, chemicals in the southern Cascades, etc. You can store the options in your drift box and select which one, based on where you're headed and the water sources.

I like UV and choose it if I know the water isn't going to be particularly cold or cloudy. I'll filter if it's going to be cold and I take tablets when I'm traveling very light (and always keep a few as backup to filter or UV).

Cheers,

Originally Posted By Boomer
so im hearing chemicals are the way to go? ive honestly never used them before. Mainly because I have always heard there is a foul taste associated with them did anyone feel like this is a problem for them when they used chemicals for water purification?