I often take a few types of "real" protien with me and if I'm lucky I will get a bonus from a lake. They include summer sausage, jerky, pepperoni, and the best of all worlds = bacon.

I look for the smallest thing of sausage and add this to soups, pita bread with cheese, etc.

Jerky I can add to ramen noodles and other soups or just snack on it.

Pepperoni is good with tortillas/pitas melted with string cheese or pita pepperoni pizza. I heat up a pita with pieces of string cheese, sundried tomatoes, and pepperoni and it makes a great pizza.

My personal favorite is already cooked bacon that is sealed in plastic and doesn't require refrigeration until opened. You can find this at many grocery stores. I just brown it a little and add it to anything that strikes my fancy. When I'm not packing light I will take bagels, cheddar, and powdered eggs and make my own breakfast sandwich. I make the eggs first, then bacon, and then brown the bagel in the pot (leave the little bit of bacon grease in the pot) with the cheese melting on the bagel. Just add the eggs and bacon to your sandwich and you'll eat like a king.

I only eat like this on half of my trips as it is a little on the heavy side but will stick with you for hours.