ftb6902:

I lugged a Kelty Red Cloud for several years prior to joining this forum in the mid-Double-Zeroes. Looking at the newest Red Cloud 5600's that they're still selling, that important spec is:

Weight: 5 lb. 10 oz. / 2.5 kg

I think they're lightening these things up, because I'm sure my 5600 RC was over 6 pounds empty on my scale, but then it was all heavy cordura and had a bunch of patches sewn on it. (Duh!) blush

That's just too heavy!

Next I had a Kelty Shadow, which isn't a Spectra-fabric pack but it was half the weight of the RC (and held 4400 cu in.) Now I'm using a stayless GoLite Pinnacle that weighs 1 lb. 14 oz. and holds 4400 cu in. instead of 5600. And I love it. Just as man began to walk upright and stopped dragging his knuckles on the ground, so we evolved with our packs, going lighter, pitching the superfluous, until we're treading lighter, enjoying it more, which is what this forum's about.

If you really can get your hands on that Kelty Phantom, run, don't walk to that out-o-bidness place and snag it. Several people on this forum (bigfoot2 and Jimshaw come to mind) have plenty of experience with these and most of the rest of us are salivating for one of those white Spectra packs. This Phantom one, either the 1998 or 2000 model, sold for $575 or so and is probably going for way more than that now. Both are 5500 cu. in. and the older '98 weighs 4 lbs. and the 2000 weighs 1 lb. 4 oz. without the attached bags.

Definitely get it (be it the '98 or '00) tomorrow (tonight) if this is for real. And ask them if they have a second one . . . and if they say yes, PM me, whistle please.

(note: we had a topic on [b]Kelty Spectra packs not that long ago; might be in winter hiking.)[/b]

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)