Originally Posted By Paul

As to weight, I did a little calculation:
First, I'm assuming that if they used a PU coating on their silnylon so they could tape it, they'd use a coating similar to what MSR uses on their fabrics. I have previously figured out pretty carefully the fabric area of my Twin Peaks (don't ask), and I know from research prior to buying it that it is very, very close in size and configuration to the BD betalight. Based on that info, the weight difference is just over .38 oz/sq yd, which would give a total difference of 2.5 oz for the coating - and some small additional amount for the tape.
To me that would be worth saving - I mean, I'd rather seal it myself and save a couple ounces and a few bucks.

Thanks for figuring this out! My only response would be to say that don't you think that that 2.5 ounces will easily be added back by the seam sealer that you're putting on it? Keep in mind that some of the seams need three separate beads on them. Also, the snaps in the corner of the pole pockets that the poles rest in need a very large amount of seam sealer since the hole in the snap goes all the way through (the instructions say to fill them full of the seam sealer). I guess I think that the tent would actually be lighter if they used the heavier fabric and factory seam sealed it.

I guess what I'm really saying is that it seems harsh to rant on them for a valid design decision as if it was a deceptive practice. I think the two are very different, and deserve different treatment. That's all.

No where did I say that it's a deceptive practice. And, yes, I think it's a valid design decision to use the lighter fabric, just as it is to sew the tent together cheaply or use fabrics that don't take the provided seam sealer well. I also think that it's valid to complain about it. I'm one of the people, as are many others, that they lose when they make a decision like this.

Are they right or are they wrong? I don't know.

I guess I would say that, for me, they were wrong.

I think they make it clear that those tents need to be seam-sealed, and as long as they do that it seems like a valid choice, as opposed to a basic quality issue.

I can see this point. I do, however, think that there are quality issues that I've specified. I also think that if you seam sealed and then used a Guiding Light as much as I have you would more than likely feel the same way. I've seam sealed dozens of tents in my life and I can honestly say that this was the worst.

they're just businesspeople, trying to make a buck like everybody else

Absolutely. I'm also just a backpacker that doesn't have unlimited resources and wants more for the $600 that I paid.