BigWig
My input here is not to argue with you nor to defend Black Diamond, it is simply because I have a keen interest in tent design and it is obvious that many feel the same as you do.
(mistakenly some had a go at me in a couple of other forums about this because they thought the "problem" was confined to Traptent and I was "defending" that brand)
I will try again..
For a small manufacturer it is possible to offer, as an option , to seam seal a non PU coated silnylon tent. The reason is very simple. If only a few customers ask for it the various cottage manufacturers (ie Ron,Henry and co) will themselves do it in their own spare time. So what they do is set up your tent, put a coat on, wait for 24-48 hours depending on the weather and pack your tent up .
Now if you had to pay someone else to do it, you may realise that $20-25 does not really cover the time and space that it takes.
Larger brands that have tents manufactured in China/Taiwan or Vietnam, have them made with a minimum run of about 300 at a time. As soon as that is done another model (not necessarily for the same brand) is in production.
Now , how do you think is possible to set up 300 tents , have them seam sealed by hand, let them rest for 2 days and then pack them pack them up for delivery ?
Production runs of 500-1000 tents are pretty common .
So it isn't as easy or cheap to do as some think.
Just before this I posted something about the new Macpac (NZ) 2010 tent line up. They too are now using silnylon and yes you need to seal them in spite of the $500 plus price range.
BTW, Bibler is owned by Black Diamond .
Of course using a fabric that can be seam taped in production is a way out but that reduce the choice of materials avaliable and each type of material has it's strengths and weaknesses.
One more thing. If you carefully read tent reviews you will find that there are many other shelters that owners had to seam seal because in spite of manufacturers claims they leaked.
Franco