That beetle-infested forest is one scary place when you're hiking through it and a gust of wind comes up! The day it happened to me, trees were falling everywhere, and all I could do was continue down the trail and pray. On the other hand, I've also heard a tree or two come down when it was absolutely calm (this last not in Wyoming but in Washington).

You always want to be sure you don't set up your shelter within reach of any dead tree or under any dead branches, often called "widow-makers." The dead forest unfortunately limits your lower-elevation campsites to meadows, not very good for the latter but better than ending up dead. At least so far, the trees at or near timberline are less apt to be affected.

Placement of camp sites becomes problematic with beetle-killed forest. Chances are good that you'll have to set up in a meadow, regardless of the impact and sometimes regardless of regulations (200' from water or trail required in some places--I tend to worry more about the water than the trail). I'd rather get a ticket than end up dead! It also means you usually can't set up your single-wall tent under a tree to avoid condensation. Better wet than dead!

I grew up in Laramie, W_D, and well remember the howling winds!!!

Edited by OregonMouse (12/05/09 11:15 PM)