Originally Posted By Paul
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
We would mix our own coca.

Ah, those truly were the good ol' days - no problems with energy on the trail - just do like the Incas did!:)

Yeah, and therein is the big difference between "Expedition" and what I do now (mostly solo FBC stuff). I *love* to cook from scratch at home, and this sort of thing is awesome on the trail - if a bit heavy. Trouble is when you're only one or two, instead of being camp cook one day, and then three other days to be on other chore duties, and/or do other things, when you're only one or two, well, for me, it becomes a lot of work when I really don't want to be doing so much! (and have other camp chores to do). While I love scratch made cocoa, I can certaily live with instant when I'm on the tail end of long day. The other thing "lighter quicker" food tends to get me, at least in the summer, is longer days. When i'm hiking light in the summer I will often stop at 5-6pm for dinner, but not actually where I'm camping.. I'll then walk for another 2-3 hours until 9pm or so, set up camp, enjoy the twilight, and sleep. Expedition style cooking means I pretty much have to stop at dinner time, as it's a bit more of a production.

Fortunately, a few better FBC recepies and some better brands of prepared dried meals have made doing without real cooking much less of a hardship than it once was.

Browse my pictures