Ok, lets add a couple steps. Your gas gauge is wacko and your gallon of gas disappears, truck dies, it gets cold. You've also killed the battery trying to start a cold, dead, truck that should still have a gallon of gas in it. Because you were so well prepared, you decide to stay the night in the outside chance someone drives by. Your barely usable cell signal allowed you to call 911, report your predicament, and "dispatch" triangulates on your signal to pinpoint your position. You tell them you're well prepared (except for gas) and adventurous, and will hike out in the morning. And now comes my point.....
1) your turn on the GPS, just long enough to identify the right road and write down the bearing to where it leads, then turn it off. You've kept it warm, so the batteries don't freeze and die (happened to me!!).
2) you use your trusty compass to keep you on that bearing, turning on the GPS only long enough to update your position.
3) oops....you forgot to put fresh batteries in the GPS....dang.
4) But you did remember to print off a map of the area just in case, and were able to triangulate as the view allowed. You're on a road. You only need to see one reference point.

Your compass and map are to back up the GPS. That little low-tech needle on your dashboard was to remind you to buy more gas before venturing out. Needles can be life savers! grin

I'll be buying a new mobile GPS today! But I still rely on the built in compass on my 4Runner and my $2 cheapo in the glove box, just in case....and I've used it, especially inside big buildings. Texas Road Atlas is under the seat. Survival bag in the back.

Jim, you're blessed to live in such a beautiful area!