Rich
I bought the original TNF mountain light when they came out - maybe 28 years ago? It gets washed and the water proofing replaced with the wash in stuff about every 5 years. It is still in use as my wife's main rain shell. The zippers and snaps are all original and still work fine as does the goretex shell. I believe I have gotten my moneys worth from it.

The only rain gear I have ever had trouble with was Sierra Design non breathable coated UL (for the time) gear. But then it is advertised as unbreathable - why should it?

Nope - I have never felt the need to return any of my "guaranteed to keep you dry in any conditions" goretex gear. What I have had is delamination problems, both jackets were expensive marmot jackets. They replaced one, but the other is irreplaceable at any price and I live with some small "measles" on the surface, since its a deep winter coat anyway, and it weighs 39 ounces with a full hood. The only even similar coat produced now by marmot would be a 8,000 meter parka.

Edited by Jimshaw (11/21/09 10:30 PM)