A long time (25 years) ago and far far away, we backpacked up to Little Yosemite Valley in medium rain. I had my new TNF goretex mountain light jacket on, and TNF nonzip goretex pants. Under this I was wearing only long underwear of some breathable type - probably polypro as that was it back then. The pit zips were open and the front zipper was half way unzipped. When we arrived I was basically dry, even inside the pants.

I now wear packlite full zip pants from LLbean and I consider them the best there is. On one late season trip last year in rain and spitting snow, they kept my legs warm and dry.

Pit zips are critical and they put them on a lot of garments because they add an ounce of weight. I am convinced that the short cuts done to save weight also produces gear that doesn't work.

People swear at goretex or swear it works. If you are in the second group, fine, if you aren't then stay home when it rains sissy. wink just joking

Seriously - I love to camp in extremely bad weather and I wouldn't do it if I was either wet or cold. My good sleeping bags are one goretex and two dryloft.
Jim YMMV crazy

Edited by Jimshaw (11/19/09 08:25 PM)