This past September we hiked Gros Morne in Newfoundland for 10 days. It was wet and wetter. Several all day rains and several days of rain off and on.

I stayed dry the entire time (except in the Epic fabric tent).

My rain gear consisted of North Face Venture jacket and pants and O.R. Sombrero hat. I carried a 30 lb pack. There was lots of elevation change from 600' to 2500'.

I was most impressed because this was old rain gear has never preformed as well as it did on this trip. The one thing that I did on this trip that I have never done before was wear wool base layers. Everything from micro light (150 gm/m) to combinations including mid weight (250 gm/m) layers. I did not wear any synthetics under the rain gear. I can only surmise that the wool in combination with the HyVent breathed exceptionally well. In the past I've always worn plastic base layers with this rain gear and have always been more wet inside than outside the rain gear.

Quite clearly a very subjective observation and certainly not quantifiable, but none the less I have restored confidence in this Venture / HyVent gear in combination with wool base layers.