Finally got to use my snowshoes for my first trek this past mid-week. But before I get into that, I'd like to thank those who've given great advice on winter hiking, not only in this topic, but the several others started by winter-hike newbies who've asked for advice.

With two big early snowfalls in CO before Thanksgiving, it looks like this will be a big year for snow. We headed out for two days of hiking to try out new shoes and poles, and finally get my feet wet (proverbially, at most) in winter hiking. Between hikes we stayed at my friend, JJ's cabin.

The first hike was in Pike Nat'l Forest below Mt. Sherman, where we hiked on connected patches of snow drifts at treeline, about 11,300'.

All I can say is what alot of fun snowshoeing is! Never done it before, and recommend it to all who have limited their hiking to the warm seasons.

We had perfect weather both days, super-blue skies and about 18 for the lows and 35 for the highs.

Here's a few photos from the two days. I didn't put them in Trip Reports because it isn't so much a trip as a start.

1st day:

At 11.3K' in the Pike Nat'l Forest above Fairplay. (The snowshoes work, I won't have to return them for a refund!)

JJ heading up on the drifts, a ridge of Sherman in the background.

The three 14ers (Democrat, Lincoln and Bross) behind.

JJ, krumholtz and Mt. Silverheels behind.

With a telephoto, Southpark, the Taryall Mtns. and Pikes Peak, at least 70 miles away.

2nd day:

The next day we drove over Hoosier Pass to Breckenridge, since we knew they'd have a lot more snow on the other, wet side of the mountains.

We went up toward Freemont Pass west of Breck and did the Mayflower Gulch cross-country/snowshoe trail, about 4 miles RT.

Day Two:
There was ALOT more snow on this forest trail on the western side of the mountains.

JJ headin' up.

JJ looking at the sawtooth peaks around Fletcher Mtn., just under 14,000'.

In the alpine basin holding the Boston Mine ruins.

Ruins of the Boston Mine on the Mayflower Gulch trail.

One of the many ruins in the basin.

JJ and Fletcher Mtn., almost a 14er.

Looking back down Mayflower Gulch, Copper Mtn. in the background.

Looking into a large log ruin in the basin.

View as we head out.

Many of the people we met on the Mayflower trail were cross-country skiing; everyone one of them had from one to 3 dogs with them, BTW.

My next step is get some X-country skis and a dog.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)