My "winter stove" of choice is an MSR Dragonfly multi (liquid) fuel stove that can roar like an XGK or simmer very low to conserve fuel. That stove is ultra reliable but I still carry a field repair kit. The stove rests on a plastic MSR base made for it. This keeps the stove steady on packed snow and won't let it melt the snow beneath.

True, my winter gear is, of necessity, heavier than summer gear but it IS reliable and simple to use.

FOOTWEAR is crucial. I use Canadian Sorrel feltpacs with VB liners over thin polypro liner sox to keep the felt insulation dry. Simple.

The felt booties ALWAYS go in my sleeping bag, either on my feet or at the bottom of the size long bag, with my water bota and extra batteries & headlamp. That's why yer winter bag neds to be long. I'll never again suffer the agony of warming frozen insulated boots in the morning. Don't ask me how I know this.

At night I put my Gore-Tex mountain parka, zipped up W/ sleeves inside, over the foot of my sleeping bag for more warmth and to keep the foot of my bag from getting wet by melting frost from the tent wall. Simple.

And as I posted (too often) last winter, I'm a believr in GTX gloves that have removable fleece liners. Carrying at least one extra liner pair allows for dry liners when needed.

Eric