HD said-
The coldest morning was four degrees and after warming the canister a minute or less between my legs, I fired it up and when my water warmed up a little, I dipped the canister in the warmed up water and the stove instantly put out more heat/noise. I repeated this a couple times and got my water boiling for hot cereal in short order.___________________________________________

Thanks for that HD, yes thats the way. If its really cold start with a small amount of water and warm it NOT TOO HOT, then dunk your fuel bottle in it, and then rewarm and add more water, you may have to warm the fuel again and its critical to do it BEFORE the water is too hot. Another way is to warm the fuel as said, then put the fuel canister in a spare pan and pour some warm water in it. Its not very efficient, but if you havelots of fuel it does solve the canister cooling problem. Always carry extra fuel, bringing home a full cannister is not a bad thing, what if you were pinned down by weather and needed it?
Jim