Zalman, Jim has a two burner Coleman Xtreme stove that uses a proprietary gas canister and unlike a standard butane canister stove, will work in cold weather down to at least 15F, maybe colder. I have the single burner version. Jim might be referring to another stove, but that's one I know he has because I've used it myself.

I also have an Optimus Nova which burns white gas and most anything else and an MSR XGK which will burn any flammable liquid commonly found, including av gas, jet fuel and kerosene and in spite of the fact they say don't do it, alcohol.

The Nova is a bit fussy and I have railed about it here many times, but it works pretty well once you understand what can go wrong with it. Never take one without the tool that comes with it. I had to take mine apart a couple of times, including pulling the fuel filter out of the line because it froze up on me.

Phat has an old school Svea 123. I have one of those too that was my first camping stove many years ago. Burns only white gas, but is a simple design with few moving parts that rarely fails to work.

Duane-I use an REI rain jacket and Marmot Precip pants in winter. I also have that big parka in my picture and a pair of GoLite synthetic insulated pants (no longer made, I think). Goretex, eVent and so on are nice, but you don't need them; you just need a way to stay dry.

Edited by TomD (11/13/09 06:19 PM)