Hmm-I tried to post on this yesterday, but it is not showing up.

WAY back, when I was still a student, the common thinking was that the combinations of proteins had to be consumed at the same meal. I read recently that this info has been revised to "in the same day." So, if you have, say, peanuts as you hike, the amino acids consumed can combine with other amino acids from your morning oatmeal to give you the building blocks your body needs. Nuts, beans, and seeds provide some aminos and grains, preferably whole ones, can yeild the rest. I don't know about bee pollen. Corn and beans, and rice and beans are some well-known combinations. I read more recently that green peas also are considered a protein source. I don't know why I would have expected them to be regarded any differently from split peas as in soup. We still need to be careful to get enough of the right "B" vitamins if going vegetarian on the trail. Bananas or potatoes and milk are supposed to have all the nutrients we require. In the school where I work, the kids are told that the Native Americans could cover all of their basic needs with "The Three Sisters," corn, beans, and squash. After reading about potassium, I looked at some charts and found that white potatoes have double the potassium of bananas. Maybe that is one reason that instant mashed potatoes seem to be craved by long-distance summer hikers. Who knew?

CamperMom