(quote)

I like take down box stoves, the Kifaru for example or the one I am working on right now for the homemade stove and shelter thread. These are not the very best heating (still can run me out of the shelter) but rock in terms of cooking and packablilty. Toss in a warming tray and it is like having a kitchen on the fly.

(end quote)

The top picture shows a red hot chimney stack robber on a stove without a baffle.
The chimney gets red hot and not the cooking surface when there is no baffle.
A baffle is harder to do in a horizontal stove without smoking in the shelter.
The thermosyphon action is not as strong as a vertical stove.

The following stoves have the baffle, as shown in my former post, which makes the cook top hotter than the chimney and stops fly ash getting out and burning holes in the tarp(no spark arrestor needed).

The stove and chimney can be made to weigh as light as (I am guessing) 18 ounces maybe less using one chimney section made with titanium and other parts aluminum. It remains to be seen if it is worth the trouble to make the stove body with titanium considering the price and weight of a tin can.When made with all steel the total stove/chimney weighs 2lbs.

The smallest tapered chimney is 2.5”x 40”. The 20” sections nest and can be rolled up with a sleep pad. All other parts are packed in the stove, the smallest practical size being 5”x5”.

6.5” stove used to show the grate in the cone shaped bottom cover seen thru the feed door.

5” stove, heat shield/ ash catcher removed, shows cone shaped bottom cover/grate. The vent door supplies primary combustion air, it controls how fast and hot the wood burns. The door is mostly closed when burning a full load of wood from the top down (gassifier), and open wide to burn out the charcoal or to keep a small fire hot.

Connector latch pin (nail) shows, spearing the smoke connector and thru the channel formed (when the baffle was put in) at the bottom of the 5" stove smoke port.

This 5” coffee can is a tad to tall for light or summer camping. I am having trouble finding shorter 5”cans.

This is the chimney top carrier, the metal stove jack rests on the outer flange. The chimney base seen in the other photos sits on a piece of fire wood which acts as a handle to adjust the stove position and bridge over melted snow.

Edited by chimpac (10/29/09 10:31 AM)