It is not black and white. Once the county sheriff is involved they take over and nobody else has much to say about what is being done. I have seen some rescues over-done- a helicpoter sent in when a horse packer would have done just as well. They are just like doctors who do not want to be sued for a botched rescue. Thus, I do not think the rescued person should necessisarly pay all the costs. But I do think everyone should pay a share. I would say, at a minimum of a couple hundred dollars - kind of like use-fee. Also, if you "push the button" you should be required to go out regardless. None of this "oh, I am better now". On one hand you do not want false alarms but you also do not want people to hesitate to call when they really need help for fear of having to pay thousands of dollars. After all the SARs are volunteer organizations and the sheriff's guys are already being paid. It is their job. There will always be in most cases those who really needed a rescue and those who clearly did not and a hopefully smaller "gray area". If there is insurance - it should remain voluntary. I have no plans of either getting insurance or carrying a PLB.