You're right - there is an assumption here that the media is not blatantly lying to us. I don't know how to prove or disprove that.

However, my own anecdotal evidence suggests they aren't lying.

For many years, four or five times a year, I've encountered hikers (or groups of hikers) whose first question is, "Do you know where we are?" My usual response is, "Do you have a map?" and the invariable reply is, "No." (Or they have a totally insufficient NFS "trail map" that doesn't show creeks, ridges or any other topography. I try to tell them how to get where they're going, but they also don't have any pencils or paper to write down directions or sketch a map. I'm sure that their "plan" is to encounter another hiker on down the trail, or maybe there'll be a sign...

I've also encountered hikers who complain that they don't have cell service, "That's just ridiculous that They don't put towers out here in the wilderness! What if we needed to call for help, or needed to know where we were?"

Idiots.

One fall night, around dusk, after we made camp about 8 miles from the nearest trailhead and were settling in for the night, a group of 10 folks came down the hill into our camp, wondering if we knew how far it was to "the parking lot." Once we figured out which parking lot they were asking about, we told them it was about 10 miles. They said, "Oh." We said we didn't really have any gear to spare, but we could probably round up enough food for supper and would help them build a fire for a little warmth to make it through the night. They said, "No, we'll just hike back."

"Do you have maps?"
"No."

"Do you have flashlights?"
"No."

"Anybody bring a jacket?"
"No."

"How are you fixed for food and water?"
"Everybody started with a bottle of water; a couple of us didn't toss them when they were empty. We don't have a filter."

"Food?"
"None."

Then they set off up the trail - which was both rugged and high. I have no idea if they made it out safely.

Like I said: idiots.