Originally Posted By sabre11004
I agree with OregonMouse. I do not really like all that store bought freeze dried back packing food because of all the preservatives that are in so that it can have a eternal shelf life.

Have you *looked* before saying that? the Natural High and the Mary Jane's farm stuff is *not* "full of preservatives". Some other ones are, but really, you don't need a lot of preservatives with dry food. Most of the store bought ones *are* quite high in sodium - if that's a problem for you be sure to read the label.

If you are concerned about preservatives and goo *read the label* as opposed to taking generalizations as gospel.

Now, having a preference for home dehydrated stuff so you know what is going in it I have no problem with. just base that decision on fact and/or personal preference rather than a generalization that's not true.

I too like my home put together stuff better. Unfortunately I'm at a stage of my life where a day taken off doing work, or doing honey-do's at home to spend extra time making my food is a day I could be on the trail - so most of the time I buy - or assemble easily - rather than make my own from scratch.

Browse my pictures