1) - Make and/or put together from grocery store ingredients - go to http://www.trailcooking.com - run by a member here and is a very good source for this. I tend to to the "put it together from grocery store ingredients - since I don't own a dehydrator.

2) - Buy good stuff. My personal favorite brands are the Natural High, Mountain House, and Mary Jane's Farm stuff - but it depends on what it is. if it sounds too good to be true (like dehydrated no-cook pizza and burgers) it is.. if you're trying to use a lightweight approach with little to no cooking be sure to read the directions - I take only stuff I can make by adding boiling water to it.

On a related note, I personally detest backpackers pantry brand, but maybe that's just me.

As realisticly they aren't that expensive compared to eating out, I suggest you put a kettle in your office and try a few for lunch before going out. You'll figure out what you like and go with food you know you'll enjoy rather than finding out you don't like something when it's your only dinner. Not the end of the world for sure, but it's nice to *enjoy* your food on the trail rather than just getting by.
Browse my pictures