Originally Posted By Bushman
Yeah i used a z-lite...not the best in a hammock, i had better luck with the walmart blue foam. The wind block taco sound like a sound idea. I pitched the tarp above very low because i thought it was going to be windy, but it ended up cause the major condensatoin issue. Throwing insulation into the taco sounds like i can get more multi use out of items i have, which is what i try to do. Regardless of what i do a pad of some kinda needs to be in my pack because its the back support.

Did you have condensation on the hammock, or just on the underside of the tarp?

Quote:

Man -14C i cant imagine, but if i want to thru hike with a hammock i better be ready. Ill have to do some winter hammocking to prepare.

I don't think you would have to go that cold. I seriously doubt you could find anything on the pct (was that your plan?) during the normal thru-hiking season that would hit that cold.

Bear in mind as well, at that -14C I am NOT carrying my usual "backpacking" hammock rig in terms of clothing, and in terms of insulation. I carried an entire second sleeping bag to go in the "taco", and I was wearing a lot more clothing than I normally carry (200wt fleece, extra merino, heavy longjohns). That -14 was also *colder* than I was expecting - although I was fine were I planning for that I'd have had a little more with me.

Browse my pictures