Lori a third vote against a poncho from someone who has done a lot of bushwhacking and loves ponchos on the trail. in the kind of stuff you'll have to push through doing sar work you will shred a gatewood cape - while it'll make a good shelter it won't work well to wear when pushing bush. In your situation I'd probably just throw my lunar solo and a small sleeping pad an my wallcreeper bag into my daypack - alternatively perhaps just and 8x10 silnylon tarp - a BIG tarp makes it a lot easier make a dry area to crash in, and also has the advantage of being large enough to shelter another team member in a pinch. The ponch will definately work, but just don't count on wearing it for raingear when you are bushwhacking. Personally I think even the dri-ducks will shred.

And I don't think you're crazy for using and alky stove, I do the same, just make sure you can deal with it in inclement weather.

And if you haven't already figured it out, boots and full gaiters. Trailrunners suck for bush bashing wink

Edited by phat (10/12/09 10:46 AM)
Browse my pictures