Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I have tried every method I could think of and ended up buying a bigger and heavier pan for serious fishing trips. I usually fish in the Wind Rivers .... I cut rations to 1 pound per person per day because we usually can catch tons of fish any time we need to. The ti pot is too small to fry fish for two or more people, especially when the fish are 15-inch or bigger. Life's tough when all you get are large fish! When I do a fishing trip in the Winds, I go with other people so we share the weight of one good frying pan

That's how I manage my weight on my 16-30 day trips to the Wind's or Beartooths. If you can stand to eat trout, 3 out of 5 nights, than the weight savings of not having to carry that many meals more than makes up for the weight of the pan. The fishing gear always goes with us,anyway, whether catch and release or catch and eat.

I always hike with my wife, so there is some load sharing. On my 26 day trip to the Beartooth's, 2 years ago, our total food weight for 2 was 37.5#, that's 0.72 #/person/day of food and it was overkill. Our total combined weight of fishing gear weighed another 5.25# and my ancient Al pan is ~ 12 oz

If you are used to eating 1 1/2 -2 lbs a day of dried food, that equaled a total food weight savings of 34.5 -60.5#, for 2, just by carrying a small frying pan and fishing gear.

This doesn't apply to 2-3 day trips, as the roll over point is about 4 days out, carrying fishing gear and a frying pan. After that, it's money in the bank and a nice back up food source if things go sour and you get delayed.