[RANT WARNING]

This morning I tried to reserve a campsite for my family's spring camping trip. Whoops! No can do. The reservation system says that it is no longer taking reservations for that park.

So after enduring another 5 minutes of auto-prattle from their voice mail system (doesn't even present you with a menu until you listen to the whole useless message), I finally talk with a real person who is just as clueless as to why I can't reserve a spot, other than "the system just won't allow it anymore". Don't they tell the employees anything these days?

I suppose someone is going to say that somehow the park reservation system costs the state more money to operate than it takes in. I thought it actually helped less desirable parks fill up, because campers seeing that the nicer parks are full will look for alternatives. It also saves a lot of frustration - remember driving to a park and seeing "Campground Full" on the entry kiosk? Guess the state park system thinks we like that retro feeling.

First they raise the camping and use fees over 40%, then they cut back on the services, and now they axe the reservations. I think this spring we're just going to skip the camping and take the kids to Disneyland.

[/RANT WARNING]