Just got back from my first "extra" days off since arriving in Denver last June, and doing Seg. 12 (and a quarter) of the Colorado Trail in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness.

Four of us went, including two newbies (father & son) and my buddy JJ, who hadn't bp'd since 2002. I outfitted 'em all with my extra gear (I need help -- mental if not financial help) and we had a great time.

That's kevonionia, left, prehike, with my new GoLite Pinnacle (loved it!), new TR z-lite pad (a bit narrow, but no complaints.) My TT Cloudburst 2 didn't keep this former Florida boy warm enuf in this wx -- has got me looking for a good, light 3-season tent.)

No matter how many times told, I still am in shock with the vagaries of Colorado weather. 85F one day, cold the next. Snow/sun/snow/sun -- and that in an hour on the trail. But I love it and this place is so beautiful and has so many places to hike, even when it turns out to be "Plan B" like our hike did. Hiking in snow was new to me, and this being the season's first real snow, it never was near deep enough to require snowshoes -- just made the trees, especially the blazin' aspens, more gorgeous.

The full trip report (more of a photo journal) is HERE.

Day 2.

Day 2.

Heading down and out for the Avalanche trailhead on Day 4.

I'm ready to get some snowshoes and head back out! awesome

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)