A double layer gives you a place to put the pad. Throwing the pad in a single layer works, but I can tell you from experience that if you use a quilt and don't have something between your base layer and the pad, you'll stick to ccf. Pads also have a habit of shifting on you, or in the case of a thermarest a little too well inflated, squirt out from under you; the pad pocket defeats this tendency. In a tent, I was the one rolling off the pad; in a hammock, I didn't have a lot of trouble with a ccf even in the Hennessy, other than my long johns sticking to it. I could have fixed that with a sleeve made of ripstop over the pad, but chose the Blackbird for additional reasons.

A Blackbird has a footbox to make it easier to put yourself on the diagonal. Most gathered end hammocks have a "ridge" that can be dealt with by laying on the diagonal, and the wider the hammock/the more sag you use, the easier this is.

The Blackbird has tie outs, a shelf, a lot of room (least claustrophobic I've encountered), a fixed ridgeline (sets the sag of the hammock regardless of the distance between trees), and a full bugnet with a full length zipper that's integrated in such a way that it doesn't impact the lay of the hammock whether you actually zip up at night or throw the netting back. (Last six overnights I haven't bothered to zip up.) The rings/straps of the Blackbird (on the strap option) are easier to fiddle with to raise/lower or center the hammock - but any hammock can be updated to rings or a ring buckle on the suspension with little effort.

Speer type hammocks are fairly simple and lack a lot of the features possible with the Blackbird. Brandon also customizes the Blackbird - puts the footbox on the other side if you want, or uses heavier or lighter material you provide, etc.

I can tell you that if you order a Blackbird and don't like it, you can make a little money - they disappear off ebay for more than you pay new. Some people don't like the waiting list. I watched one sell at hammockforums.net within an hour of posting - bam, gone.

This is not to sell you on the hammock - I just have no experience with a Speer. Lots of people like the Speer just fine. I just have no reason to get one now that I have a Blackbird, no weight savings there to be had, nor does it have some of the other features I've grown accustomed to having. If I were to recommend to someone who has no inclination to tweak or geek on the hammock, it would be a Blackbird every time, simply because it's so straightforward, no knots to tie, good workmanship, and the strap option has worked so well with our huge California pines, firs and cedars.

http://hikeandbackpack.com