phat,

Your question really interests me because I came to this site originally for this exact reason. I hunt on a regular basis and wanted to learn how to get weight down. You already know most of it...here's a couple things I've learned. Most major rifle manufactures make 'lightweight'. Work up a load in a 'short mag' and it will work well on Moose. Be forwarned however....even 'shorts' in a lightweight will talk to you. Next...I have come to the conclusion that it is much easier to 'bone' everything. Forget all the rope, saws, pulleys, etc....I even know a guy that only carries 2 ultra-lite Gerbers and sharpens them on the opposing blade. I don't deal much in Brown Bear country so that might be a different situation but I haven't quartered a harvest in years. Last....hunt packs are HEAVY (well made but heavy)... Ebers were too heavy for me, take a look at the Kifaru site...there are some nice items that weigh slightly less, especially the rifle carrier works well and reduces the weight from an Eber, both are very well made however. Kifaru has some stuff that will 'piggyback' and you can use the smaller pack as a daypack from the 'spike' camp. Also on the same site...their meat bags are great...you can hoist them in a tree and return the next day to pack them out. I have used only their military packs. Bad...their expensive and take a long time for delivery.

Just my two cents.