Originally Posted By Echterling
I appreciate the concern, but I'm well versed in carrying big loads.

In addition, the US is only one destination. There are plenty of wild places left in the world. I'm looking at putting together a long solo expedition. I'm still in preliminary planning phases, but it looks like this could take a pretty serious amount of time.

Just a well-intentioned comment about this post and the kinds of responses you have been getting and are likely to get . . .

In this post you said absolutely nothing. Clearly you are keeping your cards close to your chest -- and that is certainly your right to do so. However, there is not enough information to enable anyone to provide an intelligent answer (although people here are trying). There are too many factors left unsaid -- density of load, durability of load, how much will be used over time (e.g. carry some temporarily w/collar or hang loops), need for water resistance (Amazon or Outback?), etc.

So, my question is why not just spill it out and tell us what you are up to? Peak to peak in the South American cordiellera? Solo across the Australian outback? Siberia from Sakhalin to Kamchatka? Whatever it is, there is more knowledge collectively "out here" than in your head. Why not take advantage of it?

Also you claim to be "well-versed". Do I correctly read that to mean "inexperienced"? How about laying out your actual experience level, as well? Have you ever hiked more than 100 miles? --and with a 75# load? I haven't gone that distance (yet) but I certainly would before even contemplating some kind of venture that involved a 100# pack.

You need to realize that the expression of concern in some of the posts is a direct function of your failure to give any real information. That could mean you are just secretive (but want everyone else not to be). Or, it could mean that you are hopelessly clueless -- a justifiable conclusion because you provide inadequate information to the contrary. For me, this thread reminds me of an account I read in Backpacker Magazine about 15 years ago:

A guy flew into Alaska from Germany and stayed at a lodge before embarking on a trip he had planned. A local guide saw his proposed itinerary and told him it couldn't be done. The German guy just said "yah-yah" and refused to believe that the reality on the ground was different from his extensive planning with maps at his table back home. Fortunately he made his way back out but not in real good shape (or mood).

It would be a great delight for me to find that this post is completely off the mark and I apologize in advance if it is. I wish you nothing but the very best - which is my intent in writing.