I can appreciate (certainly!) that some do not like/get hammocks... I hike with an older gent who is convinced he will get motion sickness, and that after meeting someone who reports severe motion sickness and yet she sleeps in a Hennessy. What I don't understand are the legions of people who have not TRIED them, who will post time after time that hammocks are cold, make you banana-ish, are not feasible at all, blah blah blah. The only other pieces of gear I've seen dismissed out of hand this way are water filters and alcohol stoves. One by folks who don't think backcountry water sources are contaminated, the other by folks who are either all about convenience or taken in by another set of myths.

Most of the common complaints about hammocks are not true, or are only true if you do not bother to do ANY research at all and just go pick up whatever hammock is cheap. All you have to have to be warm in a hammock in normal 3 season conditions is the stuff you used in the tent - pad and sleeping bag. You are simply using them a little differently - deflate the thermarest a bit, open the bag and use it like a quilt.

http://hikeandbackpack.com