Hello all,

I am new to backpacking and I am very excited to get started. I am 21 years old, 180 lbs and a college wrestler and I often train for endurance. I saw it got kinda rough for the guy who said he was an elite athlete, I only include this because I don't know if that might help with giving me advice. I have limited camping experience but I have grown up in the outdoors hunting and fishing(not the same I understand). I've been shopping around for gear and I would like the opinions of people who know what they're talking about.

Backpacks- My eventual goal is to take a summer trip through Europe after I graduate in about 18 months, but for now I want to take 3-10 day camping trips to sharpen my skills. I figure I'll need a pack with a large capacity and I want one that will keep it's contents dry in the rain. I like the High Sierra Long Trail 90 Suspension ($150.00)for all of it's features including the rain cover and 5500 cu. in. of storage. I also found the Jansport Whittaker LR Internal Frame Pack for $160.00 which from what I can tell is really cheap and it seems to be a nice pack. I want to stay around $150.00 or less but I also want something that will last.

Tents- I want a 3 season, two person tent that wont let in any moisture. I want it to stay cool in hot weather but if I wake up up 3 feet of snow I don't want to be freezing cold. I also want one the wont blow over in high winds that will fit nicely in my pack. I have done some shopping and read user reviews and I have narrowed it down to two and I would appreciate some help deciding on them. I like the Eureka Zeus and the Eureka Apex XTA for the price($150-$160) and the design seems like will do everything I want it to. the Zeus also has a vestibule we can store our packs in overnight.

I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read this entire thing and I really look forward to your opinion. Like I said I am just getting started as a hiker/backpacker and once I have decided on a pack and a tent then I will focus on other pieces of equipment.