When I used to do backpacking hunting, I used an old Camptrails or Trapper Nelson pack-frame and carried all of my minimal overnight gear in a large sleeping bag stuff sack tied to the lower part of the frame. I would drive to the trail head and then hunt from there. I would camp for the night with the animal if I found one or spend the night out if I was hot on the heels of one, otherwise, I would return to my pickup and sleep there. The pickup wasn't much warmer than the tarp.

My overnight gear wasn't too much more than a tarp, 15°F bag, matches and Ensolite pad. I carried a light aluminum block and tackle, a good quality pruning saw and a skinning knife. These were in another, smaller bag tied on to the frame. My rifle (6.5 x 57 mm Mauser) was a sporterized Mauser Model 98 with a 4X scope at about 9 pounds. The pack and gear weighed about 18 lb. Mostly I was hunting in either central Idaho or in the North Cascades in Washington. I never saw it colder than about 20°F. I ordinarily carried a pound or so of non-cook food as well. I generally would cook a bit of liver over my fire for dinner if I found an animal.

I was able to handle mule deer, bear and elk with this rig but did have to make several trips to get the pieces out. I never was quite up to hauling out a whole dressed elk in one trip; even being the mighty fellow that I am. smile