Thanks for the advice. I certainly can see where hiking pace can be a real issue. The safety piece was more about injury and not about bears, or other wild life. (human and animal) smile I talked to one person whom was hiking with his wife and she ended up with a compound fracture along the AT. (This was years ago) If she was hiking alone I could have seen this to have been a real issue. As it happened it was a real adventure to get her out of the woods. Her husband hiked to the top of a hill, was able to get cell service and then got a 911 dispatcher that couldn't spell AT, let alone know where it was or how to get some to help. smile I am sure things would be a lot different today. I guess the time of year when I kicked off the hike will also effect the number of people I can run into.

I appreciate your comments and will take them into consideration when planing my gear.

Thanks

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company.
George Washington