I have this very same scale (that Trailrunner gave a link to) ... Pelouze brand model SP5, 5 pound capacity, weighs in either oz or grams. I like the option to weigh in grams; I keep my gear spreadsheet in grams (28.x grams per oz) as it's a more accurate number, and occasionally gear weights online are given in grams/kg. Just separate (narrow) spreadsheet columns in parallel to also show oz. and pounds.

If I were buying a scale again I'd search for one with a 10 pound rather than 5 pound max capacity. It's almost never an issue, but once in a while I wish I could weigh more at once. The most common reason is to weigh a full food bag, but it's not that hard to sort of decompose it into a couple of chunks. Also for weighing larger subsystems as a whole; even that's normally not a problem given that we're all trying to keep relatively light and minimal gear.

The only other thing I occasionally wish for would be a "stay on" switch. This unit automatically shuts off to save battery power after a limited time. Mostly that's fine, but occasionally I wish I could just force it to stay on until I want it to go off. The particular time I wish for this is when I'm measuring out food --- for example, I want to put 10 oz of gorp into a ziplock bag, I pour some gorp in, check the weight, iterate until done. I can generally do that without it turning off on me, but any significant delay and it's start over.

Oh, and I also wish I could get it to default to grams; I always have to push one extra button to switch to grams after turning it on.

All of these are pretty trivial complaints, just FYI for anyone searching for what they might deem the ideal gram-weenie scale!

Edited by BrianLe (09/05/09 10:42 AM)