Lots of questions!

First, congratulations on losing weight yourself and in your pack; that will help a lot.

You asked about a "maximum" weight; the answer varies on what each responder believes. I've always heard 1/5 to 1/4 of your weight - 27 to 33 pounds, in your case. So, I don't think you really have to worry; you're well below it. (I'm assuming your 23-pound weight includes food and water.)

As far as what you can do in the next day and half? Very little, beyond surreptitiously slipping about 5 pounds of your gear into your husband's pack. wink On the plus side, you've already done most of the things you could (and we all should) do: get into shape, practice carrying the load, etc. One other thing I can think of, you've probably also already done: if you live near a backpacking shop, go in and try on every pack in the store to see if you can find one you like better than the one you have.

The only other thing I can think of is to review your projected route, and reassure yourself that each day's mileage and elevation goals are realistically comfortable for you, and re-figure if they're not.

Have a good trip, and let us know how it went.

Edited by Glenn (08/26/09 04:44 PM)