Hi Bushman,

That's really nice work--very clean and neat. I'm impressed!

I have quite a bit of WG stove experience and find most can be coaxed into simmering in support of "real" cooking as compared to boiling a lot of water. The ones least inclined to are those that use the "roarer" style burner that shoot the vapor straight at a burner plate, like the venerable MSR XGK. They're fine for boiling a lot of water or melting a lot of snow with minimal attention from the user.

Whisper and Simmerlite style stoves require finesse with fuel pressure and valve adjustment, but either will simmer. Generally this means low pressure in the tank and additional pumping if running it for extended periods. They have wide burner heads that spread the flame well, reducing hot spots and scorching.

With canister stoves, the burner head has a big influence on how it will cook. Wide heads that emit from the sides are easier than narrow heads that emit straight up (i.e., blowtorch). Remote versus screw into the cartridge is a whole other topic.

Finally, it's also possible to simmer with a Trangia burner that has the rotating cover. Not easy, but possible.

cheers,