Finally joining in on this discussion of the morning repast: I detest hot cereal, bacon and eggs (ugh!). My breakfast is therefore cold cereal. Formerly it was always muesli (Bob's Red Mill), freeze-dried berries or bananas, and dried skim milk (the equivalent of a cup reconstituted). Possibly I'm part horse, because I love the taste of raw rolled oats even though I truly hate cooked oatmeal (like eating glue!). This year I've discovered that I really like Grape-Nuts as a backpacking breakfast cereal (also with freeze-dried berries and dried skim milk). (I prefer skim milk to whole milk.) Also this year, I've added a couple of tablespoons of slivered almonds to my cereal. So this year I'll be alternating Grape-Nuts and muesli, each with fruit, milk and almonds. Each breakfast is in a separate sandwich bag; I add water to reconstitute the milk and eat it out of the bag. Of course during wild huckleberry season in the NW, I omit the freeze-dried berries!

Because I eat a cold breakfast, I've dispensed with a hot beverage in the mornings and just drink lots of water. Since my preferred beverage at home is cafe au lait (half coffee, half milk) and, to me, making this with dried milk tastes awful, that is not an option when camping. I could have a cup of tea, but I have found that I don't miss the hot morning beverage enough to make it worth the fuss to fire up my stove. I throw a couple of tea bags into my Ursack just in case there's a really heinous morning, but I've never yet had to use them.

I spent part of yesterday putting together enough breakfasts for my 10-day Wind Rivers trip (starting a week from Monday), a 7-day trip in E. Oregon's Wallowas in early September, the 4-day (for me) TLB trip in the Columbia River Gorge coming up in mid-September and a 7-day trip to Washington's Pasayten Wilderness at the end of September. I can't wait to get out there and eat them!

Edited by OregonMouse (08/01/09 04:22 AM)