Fresh eggs, a couple of ounces of hard cheese (usually swiss), and about 1/3 of a bagel. For variety, or after the eggs have run out on a longer trip, Farina with raisins, cinamon and sugar, and nuts, also possibly with a bit of cheese and bagel on the side. Occasionally I also bring along some precooked bacon, which also cooks up easily, with a lot less grease than fresh, uncooked bacon.

I've found that those plastice egg carriers work well to prevent any breakage, and I've also used a cardboard egg carton wrapped in a bit of bubble wrap and that worked fine for carrying the eggs. The cheese and bagel both seem to last at least for the 7-8 day canoe trips I sometimes do and the eggs are fine and could probably go longer.

I tried some of the freeze dried egg meals and found that they all seemed to have some sort of unegglike flavor or taste that I didn't care for. Maybe I'll give Phat's potato and egg mix idea a try. Perhaps the potatoes will drown out the other taste. Most fellow campers go with pop tarts or instant oatmeal, but for some reason, just could never develop a taste for either.

Gerry Magnes
Schenectady, NY