http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/19/jamie-neale-lost-british-_n_240192.html

Jamie Neale, 19, told Australia's "60 Minutes" television program Sunday that he was "a total idiot" to venture unprepared into the Blue Mountains, 60 miles (100 kilometers) west of Sydney.

Neale said he set off for a hike on July 3 with only two bread rolls and a small bottle of water. He wore light clothing, did not carry his cell phone or a safety beacon and told no one where he was headed.

"I had overconfidence and I didn't respect the seriousness of the situation, and I made mistakes," Neale acknowledged to the program, which paid him 200,000 Australian dollars ($160,600) for his story.

Neale and his father, Richard Cass, threw a party for rescue workers when he was released from the hospital on Friday. Cass has said that any money earned would be donated to the searchers.

"The Blue Mountain rescue service – we'll be in touch with them," Cass told reporters before he flew back to England on Friday.

Now do you understand why we harp on safety here? This guy was just bloody lucky. I've been to the Blue Mountains, just for the day. It would be like disappearing in the Sierra and expecting someone to find you.

The fact that his dad is going to donate the money from the interview to the rescuers shows some real class on his part.