Originally Posted By Andi
Thanks for the info. Big Agnes looks very promising. I found a memory foam thing that they make to go around their pads when I looked them up, and it looks like the pad and foam combo still comes in just under 5 pounds, so that's do-able. That could be really good for him. Don't know til we try, of course.

I know he doesn't like sleeping on hammocks. Hadn't thought about setting one up as a chair. I'll see if that might work for him.

Has he tried an actual camping hammock, or just the backyard kind? There is a HUGE difference in the comfort level. I sleep better in the Blackbird (and in the Hennessy that came before it) than I do in my bed at home. Phat isn't talking about rope hammocks or those big flat swinging hammocks. These are essentially tents that hang in the trees, with bugnets, and it's more like being in a waterbed. You don't sleep on them, but in them. Not trying to be pushy, but over at the hammock forum there are many people with back, hip, knee, or other health issues that would not be packing if not for their hammock.

http://hikeandbackpack.com