Friday, June 26

I awoke refreshed and ready for the push into Damascus. I stepped off making excellent time, until a sudden stop and conversation with one of the local residents.

After saying my goodbyes, I continued onward. I was very happy to catch the last of the season’s blossoming rhododendron.

Despite the many short ups and downs, I continued on making excellent time. When I hit the Virginia border, the blue blazes switched to yellow blazes, something I would see again the following week as I hiked south to Damascus.

I had not seen any sign of bear at all until I began the descent toward Damascus. Half a dozen piles of fresh bear scat marked the trail, and I noticed a few scratches that may well have been bear sign as well. A bit past mile 18, I left the grassy trail and joined Old 91 for the final ¾’s of a mile into Damascus.

As I walked along the road, listening to the odd barking dog, I chatted for a bit with a local on his front porch. I asked him about bear activity, and he explained that yes, they occasionally found a bear roaming in their yards, particularly if someone forgot and left food in the trash. I mentioned the bear activity right up to the road, and he wasn’t surprised at all.

As I crossed the bridge over Laurel Creek, I entered Damascus ending this next section of my blue blaze tour.