The next phase of my 2009 Blue Blaze Tour was to strap on my backpack and explore another old portion of the AT, now a blue blazed trail.

The Iron Mountain Trail was part of the AT until the late 70’s. It begins 5 miles north of Iron Mountain Shelter, a half mile south of where the AT crosses TN91 on Cross Mountain Road. It then continues 43 miles north in the Mt. Roger’s National Recreation Area a couple of miles from the AT near Old Orchard Shelter. Along the way it passes through the eastern edge of Damascus, Virginia. During my tour, I would spend four days hiking the length of the IMT. This particular trip would be a simple overnight on the Tennessee portion into Damascus.

As I started up the trail, I appreciated the solid signage and blazing. I expected the trail to be a bit overgrown and rough and was happily surprised to find it well maintained.

From time to time I also discovered a nice view down into the Mountain City area.

Though about half were missing, I also got a kick out of the little yellow mileage markers along the way.

There were four distinct differences between the official AT route and the IMT in northern Tennessee.

First, the IMT was more of a roller coaster. It reminded me very much of the little ups and down of the Georgia AT. Nothing exhausting by any means, but it did not seem as smooth as the more gradual downhill I recalled from the AT.

Second, this section of the IMT, unlike the Virginia portion held no shelters.

Third, it held no hikers. I did not see any one else on the entire hike.

Last, it was much drier. There were only three water sources. Two were very shallow trickle streams around mile 7. It took me a good 20 minutes gather a gallon. In extended drought, I doubt these would be flowing. The section point is around mile 16 just past the jeep trail down to Mountain City and Backbone Rock. It was a bit deeper and I suspect more reliable.

The water situation made me forced me to plan my hike a bit differently than I normally would. I strung up my hammock at the first couple of sources and rest. When I rose around 5, I ate dinner, camelled up, and headed north another 3-4 miles.

There I hung my hammock for the night.

Dewey Bear claimed the gear loft in my Warbonnet Blackbird as the “Teddy Hammock”.

A woodpecker kept tapping a hollow tree for some time, sounding like a bass drum. However, I eventually drifted off to sleep.