I went on an overnighter last weekend to one of my favorite spots to hike. It had been stormy all week here and upon checking the weather I made the executive desicion to taske my lunar solo (and this is the old school version..were talking 2005 model here) I have not taken that out in years...not since I went to the UL world. Me with my poch sub five pond base weight, and smug attitude about it when out with friends. (which they are slowly converting to I might add) And hey I am comfortable and enjoy myself being that low on the weight spectrum. But this time I took my Lunar solo just because I wanted to have a little more coverage than a tarp. I mean I was still light because nothing else changed about my gear list, I just went form a 4 oz tarp to a 24 oz "tent"

And you know what I am glad I did. I thuroughly enjoyed myself. I had so much room, I did not have to worry about the rain pouring in when the thunder storm began. (don't get me wrong I have weathered many a rainy night under my tarp, but just have always had to do it sucked to the ground.) My gear was inside with me, and I absoutly loved wathcing the rain fall on the snow cover mountains from the protection of my vestibule. I will go so far as to say I probably even slept better. The only dissadvantage that I had or missed was I was not able to have that open out in the air feel and view, when I had everything "buttoned up" but as soon as I laid down I could see undernieth the peak and once again gained a decnt view of things

My buddy and I are going to head out on a trip for the 4th weekend and you know what I am taking it again. But this brings me to some questions. What was it about the "tent" that I enjoyed so much. In the past for me most of the time if it did not look like it was going to be bad weather that night I would not even pitch my tarp so sleeping out in the open is something I enjoy, and do as often as possible. Was it the fully enclosed walls around me? Was it the worry free/ getting wet free night I had because I was able to have a shelter that protected me on all side? Was it the sense of security the shelter gave? what was it that I liked so much about it? I mean I was litterly excited that I had the thing and was using it. Most of the time my tarp is just a matter of protection and part of my UL montra, I could take it or leave it, and am not always excited to set it up. So what about the Lunar Solo was so invigerating to use, is a question that I must further contemplate upon and possibly add back into my hiking lifestyle.

Your thoughts and comments are encouraged and wanted.

***This post is not ment to be a plug for the Lunar Solo, it could have just as easily been another other style of tarp tent and I feel that I would have had the same reaction with things ***