I can't say for sure whether this stove will work for you; my only exposure to it is reading about it on REI's web site. Also, I don't know how you like to cook and eat - that's hugely important in choosing a stove.

I can tell you that I frequently use a Jetboil stove, and my most complex meal is a Lipton side dish, which requires minimal cooking. If the REI stats are true, and the system only weighs 17 ounces, you're within an ounce of the Jetboil.

However, I also frequently use an Snow Peak stove with a Trek 1400 titanium pot - the whole thing weighs half a pound less than this stove.

My point is that both systems perform equally well. A pound for an entire kitchen is reasonable, if you'll be doing some simmer-and-stir type cooking. If your style is just to boil water to add to a freeze-dried meal or instant oatmeal, it's overkill.

Don't let us talk you into or out of anything. Fit your gear to your style; you're the one who has to carry and use it. (I learned very long ago that They might know what works for Them, and I could seriously reduce my learning curve by listening to Them, but I also had to know when not to.)

Good luck - if you get it, let us know how you like it.