I have set up camp in the dark a few times, which is a lot easier with a headlamp. I also have to get up several times every night (old age...). Sometimes things go bump in the night and I want to investigate. If the weather is hot I get up in the dark so I can be on the trail as soon as it's daylight. I've never done night hiking but once almost hiked out at night in an emergency situation (daughter with AMS symptoms--but she went back to sleep--I was awake for hours listening to her breathing, but she was fine). And a couple of times I've switched the light on to discourage visiting wildlife. I would never want to be without one.

I especially wouldn't want to be without a light when camping in an area where skunks roam. The thought of tripping over one in the dark isn't very appealing!

I have a Princeton Tech Eos and recently got a Petzl e+light. I'll use the Petzl for most backpacking, saving the heavier Princeton Tech for late fall trips, around home use (many handy uses), etc.

I know that some people use those little LED lights with a clip to fasten it to the hat brim, which is as good as a headlamp. I take one as a backup light.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/24/09 05:21 PM)