Weapons need to be concealed from bears?

I've been doing alot of hiking in bear territory this summer. So far I've seen a sow with 2 cubs, a set of juvie triplets, and a boar, all blackies. This is in the same area where there were 2 brownie maulings last summer (the trail where those maulings occurred has been closed). If I were by myself I'd carry bear spray, but my hiking partner carries an (unconcealed) .44 instead. We're hyper aware of all motion and sound (cow moose with new calves are also a big threat if you stumble on one) and have been scared by more than one black dog running up from behind us off-leash. There are an estimated 200-300 black bears living in the Anchorage bowl area, and probably several dozen brown bears. We know they are out there, probably closer than you'd ever know, so our #1 defense is awareness. Urban bears tend not to be startled by humans - our experience so far has been to have them flat out ignore us and go on their merry way (rather than dash off like bears who are unaccustomed to humans). Anyway, it certainly adds a new dimension to hiking, but it doesn't stop us.

MNS

P.S. We've also seen coyote (it was either that or a wolf, I'm not sure I really know how ot tell the difference) and lots of eagles.