Originally Posted By jehan
Originally Posted By Trailrunner
Originally Posted By intrek38
what type and size does everyone here carry and recommend?????????? Thanks

I recommend......no bear spray at all. IMHO the potential danger does not justify the weight/expense. And that's assuming you can even access and deploy it in an effective manner.

Simply carrying the spray is only a part of the equation. Training and practice is the other. Read this quote from a spray manufacturer's own website:

"Bear attacks happen as fast as lightning!!! Most situations where you will need to use your UDAP Bear Spray will be in a close surprise encounter. Practice, at least seven times going for your spray, or until you can reach it in a split second’s time when needed. You may want to practice actually shooting from your holster with one of our inert cans. These cans have the same spraying power as our regular sprays without the hot pepper. For training purposes only, inert cans be purchased at half the price of our regular spray, we suggest also using outdated cans for this purpose. In a bear attack situation, we do know this: you will panic if you have not been trained ahead how you will think and react. Practice what you need to do in different attack situations. Rehearse, with friends or family various situations in order to be prepared in a real life threatening situation."

Numbers I would love to see: The number of people actually attacked by bears but saved from injury or death directly and solely by bear spray, versus the number of people who carry bear spray and never use it.

Of course I may think differently if I were to frequent grizz country on regular basis. shocked

How many wrecks were you in before you started carrying vehicle insurance?

you don't wait until after a catastrophe to prepare for it

Sorry, but the vehicle insurance example doesn't compare with bear spray. Bear spray is meant as a deterrent to prevent or lesson an attack. Vehicle insurance is meant to lower the expense AFTER the accident. It doesn't matter how much insurance coverage you have, it won't prevent the accident.
Notice that I am not saying for or against here, just that we need to compare apples to apples.