All cans are lined with a plastic material which, unfortunately, contains BisPhenol A (I hope I spelled that right...). This might potentially be a lot worse for you than aluminum. I assume the can manufacturers are looking for a better plastic. Of course the alternative to the plastic liner is having cans corrode through, spoiling the contents and spilling their spoiled (think botulism) contents all over your pantry shelves (been there, done that). The aluminum toxicity myth is still hanging around, evidently.

For light weight and cheap, there's the KMart grease pot. $5 and 4 oz. (I discarded the strainer and replaced the knob on the lid with a bent piece of wire.) I used mine for several years before finally succumbing to the lure of titanium. It has a couple of minor dents but is still perfectly good. Of course I only boil water--if I were cooking in the pan, I'd want something a bit thicker.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/11/09 04:08 PM)